1. Go around to the local fishing shops and ask where the fish are biting and on what flies.
2. Dress warm: extra socks and a warm hat are key.
3. Look for a stretch of river where the water is deep and slow moving, after a transitional area is best.
4. Line yourself up off to the side of the hole and make long sweeping casts letting your fly drift for as long as possible.
5. If your rod tip ices up swirl it in the water to melt it off.
6. Fish tend to pod up in the winter so once you find them there are probably more in the same hole.